I love ice cream. On warm, summery days, I often imagine walking to my neighborhood ice cream shop. I buy a waffle cone of sweet strawberry ice cream, and walk to Clinton Park with a light breeze on my back. There are people playing ultimate frisbee or walking their dogs. I look up at the trees giving me cool shade. It’s perfect.
I love ice cream shops, but I firmly believe that making ice cream myself is more fun! I promise that this is the easiest ice cream recipe of all time, and it will amaze you with its richness.
Like many people, I love ice cream but don’t have an ice cream maker, so for a long time I thought that I couldn’t make my own ice cream. Then I stumbled upon a Buzzfeed recipe that didn’t require an ice cream maker. Normally, an ice cream maker churns ice cream to give it air and make it a smooth texture. In my recipe, whipping the cream at the beginning provides the necessary air, so it can be placed in a normal freezer to freeze, without the churning step.
My favorite part about this recipe is how customizable it is. Oreos are my personal favorite addition, but I can’t think of a candy that wouldn’t be great mixed in. You could add frozen berries, or caramel sauce… The delicious possibilities are endless!
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 14 oz (one can) sweetened condensed milk
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 10 oreos
- Chocolate sauce
- First, whip heavy cream until stiff peaks form. This can be done with an electric mixer, or if you’re really bored, with a whisk by hand.
- Next, add sweetened condensed milk and combine.
- Add cocoa powder to the heavy cream mixture, using a sifter first to make sure there aren’t any clumps.
- Put your oreos in a plastic bag and crush them using a rolling pin or another heavy object. Crush for a few minutes, until the oreos range from powder to small chunks.
- Now for the fun part! Layer about ½ inch of the heavy cream mixture into your container. Drizzle chocolate sauce on top and sprinkle oreos. At this point, you can also add whatever other toppings you scrounge from your kitchen!
- Repeat several times, so that you have layers of heavy cream mixture and layers of crushed oreos and chocolate sauce.
- Don’t forget to put oreo chunks and chocolate sauce on top to make it look pretty.
- Freeze for 3-4 hours.
- Scoop into cones or bowls and enjoy!
This recipe is based off of a Buzzfeed ice cream recipe. To see the original recipe, visit this link: https://www.buzzfeed.com/ngnathan/these-homemade-ice-cream-recipes-are-perfect-for-summer